Home insurance is a vital investment that protects your most valuable asset, your home, against the many risks that can crop up. Whether you’re buying a new home or renewing your policy, you’ll want to make sure that your home insurance covers your home and its contents to the maximum extent possible. But what about a property that’s not attached to the house itself?
Our professional agents at Luke Peterson Insurance are ready to help Altoona, IA homeowners understand what home insurance covers. The answer might surprise you!
You have more than one type of coverage.
Even the most basic home insurance policy covers more than just the structure of your home. It is usually a package of coverage that includes the following:
- Dwelling coverage for the structure of the home and structures attached to it.
- Other Structures coverage for structures not attached to the house.
- Personal Property coverage for your belongings.
- Loss of Use coverage for the time your home is uninhabitable and being repaired.
- Personal Liability coverage for lawsuits that can be brought against you or your family members for personal injury or damage to someone outside your household.
- Medical Payments coverage for medical expenses incurred by someone other than you who is hurt on your property or by your animals.
Your detached garage is covered.
A detached garage is considered covered by the Other Structures part of your policy. However, it does not have the same coverage as your house.
The typical limits of Other Structures coverage are between 25 and 50 percent of the replacement cost of your home. If your home is worth $200,000, your garage may be covered up to $100,000 instead of $200,000. It’s important to note that this is only an example, and your coverage limit may be lower or higher depending on your policy.
If you want to increase the amount of coverage your garage receives, you may be able to purchase additional coverage through your agency.
Give Us A Call
Altoona, IA residents interested in learning more about their insurance options can reach out to Luke Peterson Insurance today.